Tuesday, June 3, 2014

On Impulse

Oles just gagged and threw up in the kitchen sink. As I ran out to the kitchen to investigate, I sent up a quick prayer--please Lord, not another stomach bug! My eye discerned a straw sticking out of the box of Kosher salt on the counter. A straw in the salt? Looking curiously at my soon-to-be 8 year old, I inquired "Did you just suck up salt with a straw?!?" With tears in his eyes and still trying to rid his mouth of the offending crystals, he nodded his head. "What in the world possessed you" but before I could finish with "to do that?!?"I started laughing. I couldn't help it. I mean, does it really matter what impulse led him to suck up salt through a straw? Could the answer possibly be anything but "I don't know?" The reality is, children do impulsive things. Just because the moment presents itself. No real reason. And since it's impossible to foresee, and therefore forewarn about, all the circumstances that could lead to a rash and impulsive act on the part of little people, I'm sticking with humor as the best policy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment. It's okay. Don't be shy!